Friday, July 22, 2011

Feast of the Magdalene

St. Mary Magdalene at the PLDM Holy Wednesday Procession



By announcing the resurrection of Christ, Mary Magdalene became an Apostle to the Apostles; may she be our loving advocate with the God who chose her! (Magnificat Antiphon)


My paternal grandmother used to bring out the Magdalena for the Holy Week procession in her little town of Sara, Iloilo. When she died, the care of the image was passed to me. Although I never had the opportunity to bring the image out in the yearly procession in Iloilo, I saw to it that we brought her out wherever I am assigned as pastor. This little custom deepened my relationship with the Apostle to the Apostles. Sinner turned saint, the Magdalena is an eloquent witness to the Redeemer's triumph over sin and death.





No comments:

Post a Comment